Things to Know About Camping Black Diamond-Style

Two camp facilities for year-round outdoor program are provided and maintained by the Girl Scouts of Black Diamond Council. There are council- and service-unit level day camping and outdoor program events held on both council and non-council owned properties. The council-level events are advertised in the council program publication, entitled The Pathfinder or advertised on this site. Service Unit Level events are advertised locally to their members. Troop camping is done by Girl Scouts who have experienced many previous outdoor activities, have learned and practiced outdoor skills, and have taken short hikes and have cooked several meals out-of-doors. Girls, with their leaders, plan and carry out these activities, as well as, the actual troop camping experience.

Troops can go camping on council-owned sites by submitting a Program Site Reservation Form (nicknamed camp reservation). If camping on a site not owned by the council, the troop/group leader can fill out an Application for Troop Trip/Camping (or nicknamed Tripping Application).

When a troop goes camping, the leader or other adult working with a troop must be certified as a troop camping adult. An adult becomes certified by completing the Camping In/Camping Out certification. See the council Connecting Pathways, a volunteer training catalog, for upcoming Camping In/Camping Out certification course information. An adult who is currently certified with First Aid and CPR is required to accompany a troop while camping. Contact your local Red Cross or the American Heart Association for class training times.

Camp Pricing for Girl Scout members are as follows:
Lodge at all camps: $25 per day
Dining Halls at all camps: $15 per day
Platform Tent Units at all camps: $9 per day
Half Cabin Units at all camps : $9 per day
Shelters at all camps: $15 per day
Pool at Giscowheco: $25 per day
Hilltop House at Rocky Ledges: $25 per day

Note: Fees are subject to change in the fall 2011 or winter of 2012.

Procedures to Reserve a Black Diamond Camp

All reservations must be made using the Program Site Reservation Form (often nick-named Camp Reservation Form). You may call the Events Registrar at the Council Service Center (304.345.7722 or 1.800.756.7616) to check date availability prior to submitting the Program Site Reservation Form, but checking the availability does not guarantee the date will remain open. Please submit the form as soon as possible. Once the form is submitted and approved, the Events Registrar will send you a confirmation and will bill you for your camping fees. Payment for the camp reservation should be received at least two weeks prior to your camping event.

Please make sure that you have reviewed the general safety information found in Volunteer Essentials and have an adult with the Camping Out certification and a First Aider for your camping experience. If your camp experience will include archery, canoeing, swimming or other special activities, make sure you have reviewed those safety activity checkpoints and have the trained adults available for such activities. The trained adults should be listed on the Program Site Reservation Form. Your estimated time of arrival and departure must be included on the Program Site Reservation Form, as well.

Mail, fax, or carry in your completed Program Site Reservation Form to the Girl Scout Service Center in Charleston. Troop/groups are encouraged to reserve a camp site early, as many sites fill quickly. When reserving the site on short notice please keep in mind that time is required to process the reservation, secure equipment, and to notify the camp ranger to prepare the site, if necessary. Remember, there may be other troop/groups in camp at other sites when you are in camp.

Service Unit Events and Camporees at Council Sites

  • Reserve only the facilities that are needed. The service unit must pay for what is reserved. Reservations cannot be taken by phone.
  • The service unit planning group places troops in the camping units, not the council or site host.
  • The service unit planning group will guide troops to tent and activity locations throughout the event.

Camp Ranger

The ranger ensures that the site is maintained in compliance with policies and standards of Girl Scouts of the USA, as well as, the laws and regulations of state and local governments. At most camps the ranger is in residence and on call in case of a maintenance emergency. Rangers work flexible schedules and may not always be on the camp property. The ranger’s primary job function is to care for and maintain the camp facilities and property. They are not there to help troops/groups with their program activities.

Dining Hall Equipment Available If Site Is Reserved
Basic cooking equipment available at each site.

  • Stock pot-approximately 10 quarts
  • Sauce pan-approximately 3 quarts
  • Small and large mixing bowls
  • Dishes, tableware

Note: There may be other equipment a troop has donated or left behind.

Basic equipment provided:
  • Buckets and pails
  • Brooms and mops
  • Mattresses for sleeping on the floor
  • Tables and chairs
  • Refrigerator and stove

Note: There may be other items a troop has donated or left behind. Also, other dining hall amenities are described in this guide.

What you need to bring:
  • Toilet paper, paper towels
  • Dish Towels
  • Pot holders
  • Dishwashing detergent
  • Clorox (for disinfecting dishes in cleaning process)
  • Trash bags
  • Matches
  • Plastic wrap, foil, zip lock bags
  • Battery-powered lanterns and/or flashlights
Tent Unit or Half Cabin Unit Equipment
  • Bucket
  • Brooms
  • Trash can
  • Twin-sized mattresses/metal bed frames (Four/tent or cabin)
  • Nearby shelters are equipped with a refrigerator and stove.

Note: Other unit amenities are listed previously in this guide.

Program Equipment

Some additional program equipment is available for use at council camps. Please review the Outdoor Program Equipment Checkout Form for details.

Before Arrival at a Black Diamond Council Camp

Remember to take a copy of the confirmation letter along with the required report to turn in to the ranger after your camping experience. Give directions to camp to each driver along with camp phone number and other driver’s cell numbers. Make sure your at-home emergency contact person has the camp phone number, your cell phone number, directions to the site, and a list of those attending with their emergency contact phone numbers. NOTE: Cell phone reception is limited or non-existent at some camp locations. Make sure to have the following information for all participants camping with your group:
  • Participant Attendance Roster with addresses and phone numbers included.
  • Emergency contact names and numbers for all participants (girls and adults).
  • Health History for each participant (girls and adults)
  • Signed consent for medical treatment for all minors in your care and medicines must come in original containers with dosage directions.

Emergency Preparation

The emergency contact person should be an adult who is willing to be available during the entire camping trip to act as a contact person back home with families and/or campers in case of an emergency. The family of each camper should have the name and phone number of the emergency contact person. The emergency contact person’s packet should include all of the following:
  • Names and phone numbers, and addresses of everyone attending
  • Names and phone numbers of all drivers
  • Camp phone number
  • Camp ranger’s or site host’s name and phone number
  • Name of site you are using and directions to camp
  • Phone number of police /sheriff nearest to the camp
  • Schedule of activities off and on the site
  • Council emergency contact number (The Council Crisis Plan can be found in the forms section of this guide.)

Males Camping With Girl Scouts

Dads are often involved in the leadership of a Girl Scout troop. It is not uncommon for a man to be an assistant leader, a troop committee member, a certified First Aider, or the troop camp trained adult. There are no rules that preclude a male adult, who is invited by the troop, from troop camping with Girl Scouts. Common sense and prior planning will make camping with a male adult a positive experience. Follow these simple guidelines and enjoy your camping trip:
  • Make sure the campsite you reserve has a separate tent or room for your male camper to sleep in. It is not appropriate for males to sleep in the same tent or room with Girl Scouts in the troop setting.
  • Male campers need to have bathroom facilities available that are not used by the girls. If there is only one bathroom available, coordination of usage is of utmost concern. A sign posted when the bathroom is off limits to girls is a must. Camping facilities with separate male and female bathrooms is strongly suggested.
  • Male campers are required to follow all guidelines and standards regarding troop camping and Girl Scouting.
  • Sexual behaviors of any kind on Girl Scout property will not be tolerated.

Note: If the camp is designated as a Family event, families may sleep together in a tent.


Tag-alongs (non-registered Girl Scouts) are only permitted if the event organizer permits this and the troop/group takes out Plan 2 insurance for the non-members. Go to Mutual of Omaha’s web site to get the form. This form and the required fees must be mailed in to the insurance company prior to the event.

Extra Insurance for longer Camping Experiences

If a camping program is going to involve three nights of camping, Plan 3E insurance is needed to cover all participants. Go to Mutual of Omaha’s web site to get the form. This form and the required fees must be mailed in to the insurance company prior to the event. Also, all participants, girls and adults must have a health exam for extended camping experiences (Copies of physicals within the past 2 years of the event are acceptable too).


After unloading, all cars must be left in the designated parking areas. Cars parked on the road limit traffic and/or hinder emergency/camp vehicles. The on-site speed limit is 10 mph. Lock up your vehicles. The Council is not responsible for vehicles or the contents. Only supply vehicles can move around in camp to deliver things to activity stations making sure to be cautions of girls. Extra vehicles constantly moving in camp are a danger to the camp participants.

Alcohol/Illegal Drugs

Alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs are strictly forbidden on camp property.


Pets are not permitted on council camp properties.

Concealed Carry

Firearms or weapons of any type are strictly prohibited anywhere on council-owned premises, whether or not permitted by state law. With the exception of the police or sheriff’s personnel, Girl Scouts of Black Diamond Council does not permit its members, guests, employees or any other individual to carry weapons, such as firearms, on their body or in their belonging while engaged in Girl Scout activities or while on Girl Scout property.


Fireworks are not permitted on council property.


All buildings that are owned, rented, leased, or loaned to Girl Scouts of Black Diamond Council are designated as “NON SMOKING” environments. Adults who wish to smoke must use special areas on the grounds designated as smoking areas by the event organizer. There is to be no smoking in the presence of girls. Adults must not leave minors unattended to smoke. Please dispose of cigarette butts in a responsible manner.


Please reverse charges, use a telephone debit/credit card on any toll calls you make on camp telephones. If this is impossible, notify both the Ranger and the Property Superintendent at the Girl Scout Service Center in Charleston. You will be billed for all toll calls from camp phones during your stay. Also, please remember these telephones are for emergency calls only. No personal calls should be made.


Conservation of all camp sites should be practiced. Enjoy and appreciate the flowers, shrubs and trees, but leave them to be enjoyed by others for the future.

Leave No Trace

A Girl Scout leaves a place better than she found it. All facilities must be cleaned before departure. Floors should be swept and mopped; kitchens and bathrooms should be cleaned; refrigerators/freezers should be emptied; trash should be placed in a plastic bag, tied and placed in the appropriate containers and/or taken home; all camp equipment and dishes should be cleaned and returned to their proper location; fireplaces/fire circles should be cleaned; wood should be restacked; windows and doors should be shut and locked. The troop/group will be charged for repairs or replacement costs for damage beyond normal wear. The group will also be charged if the lodge is not cleaned prior to departure. The Camp Ranger will report any damage or cleaning issues to the Property Superintendent, who will contact you if there is a problem. The condition in which you find a camp site is the way in which the group ahead of you left it. How do you like to find a camp site? Remember, tables must be covered for all arts/crafts projects. Do not remove tables from the lodge. Please refrain from pouring grease down the sinks. Use a can of your own.

Service Projects

Service Projects may be done at all camp sites. Contact the Girl Scout of Black Diamond Property Superintendant at the Girl Scout Service Center in Charleston, WV.

Fire Extinguishers

Fire extinguishers are in all buildings. Locate them when you arrive and read instructions for use.


Chopped firewood is provided at camp. Because of the Emerald Ash Borer and the devastation it can cause, we ask that you do not transport firewood to camp or take wood out of camp. Campers are responsible for gathering their own kindling firewood while at camp. Any dead wood that is on the ground or hanging in nearby trees may be used. Fires should be started in designated fire circle areas only. Do not make a new fire circle to accommodate your group. Have a water bucket next to the fire circle at all times. Never use liquid fire starters.

Health and Safety

Each troop/group must have a First Aid kit at camp. It should be stocked as specified in the Safety-Wise section of Volunteer Essentials. A Girl Scout First Aider is an adult (18 years of age or older) who has taken Girl Scout council approved First Aid and CPR training. The following individuals may serve as first aiders if they are current in their license/certification:
  • Physicians
  • Physician’s Assistant
  • Nurse Practitioner
  • Registered Nurse
  • Licensed Practical Nurse
  • Paramedic
  • Military Medic
  • Emergency Medical Technician

The above listed people can serve as Level II Aiders which are required for events that have 200 people attending. Additional types of Level II First Aiders are listed in the Safety-Wise section of Volunteer Essentials.

All accidents, incidents or injuries must be reported to Black Diamond Council using the Incident Report within the week of the occurrence. In addition, if there is an injury that requires medical attention, a claim form from Mutual of Omaha’s web site must be completed and mailed to the Chief Financial Officer at Black Diamond Council for processing.

Medication Dispensing

The distribution of over the counter medications, or prescribed medication to girls is prohibited without specific written parent/guardian permission. Medications should be in their original containers with the dosage information specified.


All visitors must first check in with the person in charge at the site.

Camp Critters

Remember that campers share the outdoors with the wildlife that was there first. Please do not destroy their homes and habitat. Abuse of animals such as frog gigging and deliberate maiming is not tolerated on camp property. Do not feed animals people food. It is not particularly good for them and they may keep coming back for more and become a pest. Also, campers should not keep food or gum of any sort in the tents. Otherwise campers will have unwanted visitors.

Insect Safety

Girl Scouts of Black Diamond Council does not spray for mosquitoes at any of its sites. Each person is responsible for providing for their own protection against diseases carried by mosquitoes and other insects. We encourage parents to keep up with current health department and medical information by consulting their own pediatrician or a source such as the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Serious Accident/Injury, Illness or Death

All of the following actions should be taken in the event of a serious accident or emergency during any Girl Scout activity not just on council owned sites:
  • Secure services of trained medical professional or first-aider on site and give priority to providing all possible care to victims.
  • Permit no disturbance of victim (s) except by first-aider or medical professional or surroundings.
  • Retain a responsible adult at the scene.
  • Secure doctor, ambulance, police and/or clergy as appropriate. (You are responsible until police assume responsibility).
  • Parent/Guardian notification
  • Report nature of emergency
  • Condition of the victim
  • Secure parent/guardian wishes regarding: Medical treatment, hospitalization, or personal attendance
  • Council notification. After notifying parents/guardians and emergency authorities, council staff must be notified of any serious accident or injury. Please use the council emergency contact numbers.
  • Be available to complete accident reports and to answer questions.

Quiet Time

Quiet time is 10:00 pm – 7:00 am when other groups are in camp.

Lost & Found

Double check that you do not leave items behind. After two (2) months all lost and found items are given to charity. The council is not responsible for any personal items or valuables on the property including personal sports equipment.

Participant Roster and Report

You must complete a Report of Troop Camping that is supplied in your confirmation packet and turn it in to camp ranger. A sample of this report is located in the forms section of this guide. You also must turn in a participant roster with all adults and children that attended along with their phone number and address to the ranger. This is a requirement of the Health Department.


Cost of removing graffiti or repair/replacement of equipment due to other than normal usage will be billed to the responsible troop. Do not use anything, including washable chalk, to write on walks, walls, furniture, latrines or buildings.


Our goal is to have our camps full on troop camp weekends. If a troop must cancel its’ campout, a full refund including security deposit will be returned provided the Council has been notified two weeks or more before the scheduled campout. Request for a refund must be in writing. You may cancel over the phone, but in order to receive a refund you must mail, fax or email a written request as well. If the cancellation occurs less than two weeks of the campout, your deposit will be non-transferable and non-refundable. Cancellations due to extreme circumstances or extreme weather conditions will be handled on an exception basis. Your deposit can be transferred to another available date in accordance with opening dates for site reservations.