why we sell cookies
It's all about empowering girls.
In Girl Scouts, girls discover the fun, friendship and power of girls together. Through a myriad of enriching experiences, such as extraordinary field trips, sports skill-building clinics, community service projects, cultural exchanges and environmental stewardships, girls grow courageous and strong. Girls say a leader is defined not only by the qualities and skills one has, but also by how those qualities and skills are used to make a difference in the world. The Girl Scout Leadership Experience identifies three keys to leadership.
Discover: girls understand themselves and their values and use their knowledge and skills to explore the world.
Connect: girls care about, inspire and team up with others locally and globally.
Take Action: girls act to make the world a better place.
This Cookie Season, Girl Scouts across the country will be inspiring change. They will discover what matters most to them. They will connect with people in their communities. And, they will use the power of Girl Scout cookies to take action in their own neighborhoods and far beyond.
The Girl Scout Cookie Program helps girls develop five key business and leadership skills that last a lifetime:
- Goal Setting—as she sets cookie sales goals individually and with her team, creates a plan to reach them, and develops Cooperation and Team Building skills all along the way.
- Decision-Making—as she helps decide how her team will spend their cookie money, furthering her Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills that will help her throughout life.
- Money Management—as she takes cookie orders, handles customer’s money and gains valuable and Practical Life Skills around financial literacy.
- People Skills—as she learns how to talk to, listen to and work with all kinds of people while selling cookies. These experiences help her develop Healthy Relationship and Conflict Resolution skills she can use throughout her life.
- Business Ethics—as she is honest and responsible at every step of the cookie sale. Her business ethics here reinforce the Positive Values she is developing as a Girl Scout.
The Girl Scout Cookie Program is the largest girl-led business in the country and generates immeasurable benefits for girls and our community. Through Girl Scout Cookies, girls are doing a World of Good!
The Girl Scout Mission Statement
Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.